Sunday, November 13, 2011

Tasty Unknowns

Around those early years that Black Metal started pushing Death Metal to the side, I can still remember snail mails and fanzines getting all fired up on the issue of ‘originality’. Basically, many fans of the extreme underground metal scene back then were sick with the over abundance of copycats, particularly of the Swedish Death metal kind. At least that was how I understood it.

As naïve as it may seem now, the quest for “uber-originality” did cause me to become quite persistent in choosing only the weird and unknown of any kind of genre. It may have been silly at first, but it really has expanded one’s musical horizon by quite a stretch. Of course good music still counts a lot but, when it is also unheard of or just plain unexpected it becomes that much better and memorable.

So, in a nutshell, hearing anything unusually good always makes my day. Just as it is a pleasure to hear the likes of Heroin and Your Veins’ 2009 “Nausea”, for example.

I know absolutely nothing about “Post-Rock” and whatever it actually means. But, if all the genre artists play like this Finnish act then I am all ears!

For me, this simply sounds like a delightful soundtrack of some vile thoughts brewing through the mind, with nothing but a bottle of whisky, a pack of cigarette and a dead pale moon as company.

No comments:

Post a Comment