Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Owl-choke

I just learnt here that ‘Kvelertak’ is Norsk for stranglehold or chokehold. I have also just learnt that it’s the moniker for a so-called rock n’ roll (?) band hailing from Norway.

Why I bothered to find out, you might ask? Well, because this Norwegian band album cover is just so damn curious. It gave me that perplexing expectation of either a 70s sounding psychedelic Sludge/Doom band or something else completely (which would probably end up being a major disappointment and waste of time).

Anyway, I just cannot resist that beautiful cover art. It is like you can almost lick the sinister tinge underneath that uncanny looking owl with the tentacles and the fairy looking females around it. Hell, you can almost say that the owl really got me on a chokehold to listen to the band.

Sure am glad that I did let it choke me. It’s no Sludge/Doom, but it surely has some killer 70s riffs (like the Hendrix-esque jam on ‘Sultans of Satan’ or the Sabbath-sounding one on ‘Liktron’).

PS: The hell with that Wikipedia (dis)information on the band’s ‘rock n’ roll’ music style. This is hard rockin’ metal with balls! Nothing less! Now go get choked!

No comments:

Post a Comment