Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Reliving Sabbath

I can still remember it like yesterday. It was a fine clear day and I was truly enjoying the first few years of school, barely passing the single digit age number. After a morning full of education it was time to go where only my older brothers and sisters have gone before: the local record shop.

That was the day I bought my first MC. And that tape was Black Sabbath’s self-titled debut. I didn’t know exactly how it will sound like. I just had one look at the cover and got mesmerized instantly. Just as instantly as when the actual music mesmerized me since the first song.

What a day that was.

I could be having a really bad day and all it will take is just a few minutes of ‘Sleeping Village’ or ‘Evil Women’ and it’ll all feel alright again.

Of course, as time goes by, I started getting properly acquainted with the more extreme development of heavy music. Got swamped in the vast landscapes of Thrash, Speed, Black and Death Metal so much I hardly ever listen to that first tape again along the late 80s and early 90s.

Anyway, Black Sabbath’s music has never really been erased from my taste bud. The likes of St. Vitus and Cathedral have kept it flickering every now and then too. But I never thought there will be a day when I could actually hear such delightful sludgy, dark and doomy music becoming prevalent again.

So, one can only imagine how delightfully surprised I was when I finally discover the likes of Acrimony, Eyehategod, Yob and Cough since the early 2000s. Yeah, I know I was really late in catching the drift. Better late than never I guess?

Hell. Let’s start with the shadiest and vilest of them all.




No comments:

Post a Comment