Monday, August 3, 2015

Lemurian

The night feels a bit ‘Lemurian’-like, this particular evening, for some unknown and unforeseen reasons. Leaving one wound up in an enigma, almost as depressing as that place Borges depicted in the 60s….

“A labyrinth is a structure compounded to confuse men; its architecture, rich in symmetries, is subordinated to that end. In the palace I imperfectly explored, the architecture lacked any such finality. It abounded in dead-end corridors, high unattainable windows, portentous doors which led to a cell or pit, incredible inverted stairways whose steps and balustrades hung downwards. Other stairways, clinging airily to the side of a monumental wall, would die without leading anywhere, after making two or three turns in the lofty darkness of the cupolas. I do not know if all the examples I have enumerated are literal; I know that for many years they infested my nightmares; I am no longer able to know if such and such a detail is a transcription of reality or of the forms which unhinged my nights”

Jorge Luis Borges – Labyrinths / The Immortal

No comments:

Post a Comment